National Occupational Classification (NOC) 2016 Version 1.3
- 5 - Occupations in art, culture, recreation and sport
- 51 - Professional occupations in art and culture
- 513 - Creative and performing artists
5135 - Actors and comedians
Actors and comedians perform roles in motion picture, television, theatre and radio productions to entertain a variety of audiences. They are employed by motion picture, television, theatre and other production companies. This unit group includes acting teachers employed by private acting schools.
- acting teacher - private or studio
- drama teacher - private or studio
- standardized patient
- (5231 - Announcers and other broadcasters) (See 5231 Announcers and other broadcasters)
- Dancers (See 5134 Dancers)
- Drama professors (See 4011 University professors and lecturers)
- Musicians and singers (See 5133 Musicians and singers)
- Other performers, n.e.c. (See 5232 Other performers, n.e.c.)
This group performs some or all of the following duties:
Actors and comedians
- Study and rehearse lines, gestures and expressions to interpret a role
- Portray roles in video or motion picture productions, television shows, theatre productions, radio dramas, commercials and other productions or perform the narration
- Sing or dance as required by specific roles
- Perform comedy acts in nightclubs alone or as members of comedy troupes
- Improvise a role.
- Train students in interpretation of scripts, speech, movement, and dramatic theory
- Prepare acting students for specific auditions and performances.
- Demonstrated ability, based on an audition or previous acting roles, is an important hiring criteria.
- Acting programs are offered at universities, colleges and private acting schools.
- Acting teachers usually require experience as actors.
- Membership in a guild or union may be required.