National Occupational Classification (NOC) 2016 Version 1.3
- 0 - Management occupations
- 07-09 - Middle management occupations in trades, transportation, production and utilities
- 082 - Managers in agriculture, horticulture and aquaculture
0821 - Managers in agriculture
Managers in agriculture plan, organize, direct, control and evaluate the operations and functions of farms. They are responsible for growing crops, raising and breeding livestock, poultry and other animals and marketing farm products. They usually own and operate their own establishment.
- apple grower
- chicken farmer
- dairy farmer
- domestic animal breeder
- fruit farmer
- hog breeder
- horse breeder
- maple syrup producer
- market gardener
- potato farmer
- seed grower
- sod farmer
- vegetable grower
- vineyard manager
- wheat farmer
- Agricultural service contractors, farm supervisors and specialized livestock workers (See 8252 Agricultural service contractors, farm supervisors and specialized livestock workers)
- Managers in horticulture (See 0822 Managers in horticulture)
This group performs some or all of the following duties:
- Manage the overall operations of a farm, ranch or orchard
- Determine the amount and kinds of crops to be grown and livestock to be raised
- Organize and co-ordinate planting, cultivating and crop harvesting activities; raising and breeding of livestock and poultry
- Hire and manage farm personnel
- Establish a marketing program
- Develop and keep financial and production records
- Purchase farm machinery, livestock, seed, feed and other supplies
- Maintain farm machinery, equipment and buildings
- Perform farming duties.
Managers in agriculture manage farms of various sizes which may specialize in particular crops such as wheat, apples or potatoes or raise particular livestock such as beef cattle, swine or poultry.
- Extensive farming experience, obtained as a farm supervisor or specialized crop or livestock worker or by working on a farm, is usually required.
- A university degree or college diploma in agricultural management or other field related to crop or livestock production may be required.