National Occupational Classification (NOC) 2016 Version 1.3
- 0 - Management occupations
- 01-05 - Specialized middle management occupations
- 042 - Managers in education and social and community services
0422 - School principals and administrators of elementary and secondary education
School principals plan, organize, direct, control and evaluate the activities of teachers and other staff of an elementary or secondary school. They are employed by public and private schools. Administrators of elementary and secondary education plan, organize, direct, control and evaluate the academic affairs of a school system. They are employed by school boards.
- board of education administrator
- chief superintendent - schools
- director of education - correctional institution
- director of school for the hearing impaired
- district school superintendent
- private school headmaster/mistress
- school principal
- school vice-principal
- secondary school principal
- superintendent of elementary education
- superintendent of secondary schools
- superintendent of special education
- Administrators - post-secondary education and vocational training (See 0421 Administrators - post-secondary education and vocational training)
- Education policy researchers, consultants and program officers (See 4166 Education policy researchers, consultants and program officers)
- Government managers - education policy development and program administration (See 0413 Government managers - education policy development and program administration)
- Senior managers - health, education, social and community services and membership organizations (See 0014 Senior managers - health, education, social and community services and membership organizations)
This group performs some or all of the following duties:
- Plan, organize, direct, control and evaluate, through department heads or supervisors, the activities of teachers and support staff
- Review programs to ensure conformance to school board or provincial standards and develop programs within limits of authority
- Co-ordinate teaching activities of the institution by making personnel assignments, determining class size and preparing timetables
- Organize and maintain procedures for the keeping of records
- Prepare and administer institution or program budget
- Direct and co-ordinate school maintenance services and the use of school facilities
- May recruit and hire teachers and other staff
- May teach.
Administrators of elementary and secondary education
- Plan, organize, direct, control and evaluate, through school principals, the academic affairs of a school district
- Evaluate curriculum, teaching methods and community participation in programs for a school district and revise programs as required
- Develop and administer programs for the education and training of students and adults
- Make recommendations concerning the annual operating budget of a school district
- Direct the recruitment, appointment, training, evaluation and promotion of teaching personnel.
- A bachelor's degree in education is required.
- A master's degree in education may be required.
- Several years of experience as a senior teacher or department head are required.
- A teacher's certificate for the province of employment is required.
- School principals may require a principal's certificate.
- Administrators of elementary and secondary education may require a supervisory officer certificate.
- There is little mobility between institutional settings, for example, between elementary and secondary schools.