National Occupational Classification (NOC) 2016 Version 1.3
0 - Management occupations
This category includes legislators, senior management occupations and middle management occupations. Senior managers are described in several broad categories. Middle managers are described in more detailed categories that span the entire labour market.
01-05 - Specialized middle management occupations
This major group comprises specialized middle management occupations. It includes administrative services managers and managers in financial and business services, communication (except broadcasting), engineering, architecture, science and information systems, health care, public administration, education, social and community services, public protection services, art, culture, recreation, and sport.
031 - Managers in health care
This minor group includes health care directors, chiefs and managers. They are employed in hospitals, medical clinics, nursing homes and other health care organizations.
0311 - Managers in health care
Managers in health care plan, organize, direct, control and evaluate the delivery of health care services, such as diagnosis and treatment, nursing and therapy, within institutions, and in other settings, that provide health care services. They are employed in hospitals, medical clinics, nursing homes and other health care organizations.
- chief of anesthesia
- chief of emergency medicine
- chief of medical staff
- director of clinical medicine
- director of dietetics
- director of laboratory medicine
- director of nursing - medical services
- director of occupational therapy
- director of physiotherapy
- director of surgery
- home care services director - medical services
- medical clinic director
- mental health residential care program manager
- rehabilitation services director
- Government managers - health and social policy development and program administration (See 0411 Government managers - health and social policy development and program administration)
- Senior managers - health, education, social and community services and membership organizations (See 0014 Senior managers - health, education, social and community services and membership organizations)
This group performs some or all of the following duties:
- Plan, organize, direct, control and evaluate the delivery of health care services within a department of a health care institution, or in other settings where health care services are provided
- Consult with boards of directors and senior managers to maintain and establish standards for the provision of health care services
- Develop evaluation systems to monitor the quality of health care given to patients
- Monitor the use of diagnostic services, in-patient beds and facilities to ensure effective use of resources
- Develop and implement plans for new programs, special projects, new material and equipment acquisitions and future staffing levels in their department or establishment
- Plan and control departmental or establishment budget
- Represent the department or establishment at meetings with government officials, the public, the media and other organizations
- Supervise health care supervisors and professionals
- Recruit health care staff of the department or establishment.
Managers in health care specialize in administering the provision of specific health care services such as dietetics, clinical medicine, laboratory medicine, nursing, physiotherapy or surgery.
- Administrators of departments such as surgery, clinical medicine or laboratory medicine are usually required to have the education and training of a specialist physician.
- Administrators of other departments, such as nursing, dietetics or physiotherapy, are usually required to have the education and training of the medical professionals in that department.
- Several years of experience in the relevant profession, including supervisory experience, are usually required.
- Certification in the relevant profession is required.
- There is little or no mobility between departments in different medical specializations.
- Progression to senior management positions in health care services is possible with experience.
Report a problem on this page
Is something not working? Is there information outdated? Can't find what you're looking for?
Please contact us and let us know how we can help you.
- Date modified: