National Occupational Classification (NOC) 2011
- 9 - Occupations in manufacturing and utilities
- 95 - Assemblers in manufacturing
- 952 - Mechanical, electrical and electronics assemblers
9527 - Machine operators and inspectors, electrical apparatus manufacturing
Machine operators in this unit group operate machinery or equipment to fabricate complete products or parts for use in the assembly of electrical appliances and equipment, and electrical apparatus, such as batteries, fuses and plugs. Inspectors in this unit group inspect and test completed parts and production items. Workers in this unit group are employed by electrical appliance and electrical equipment manufacturing companies.
- assembly machine setter - electrical equipment manufacturing
- dry cell charge machine operator
- epoxy coating machine operator
- inspector, electrical dry battery
- inspector, electrical light bulbs
- machine operator - electrical equipment manufacturing
- machine set-up operator - electrical appliance manufacturing
- production line battery repairer - electrical equipment manufacturing
- Assemblers and inspectors, electrical appliance, apparatus and equipment manufacturing (9524)
- Supervisors, electrical products manufacturing (9223)
Machine operators in this unit group perform some or all of the following duties:
- Operate machinery to assemble, test or package dry cell batteries
- Position lead acid storage batteries on assembly line and insert battery contents into casing
- Operate machinery, such as pasting and stacking machines, to fabricate plates for lead acid storage batteries
- Load machinery with glass tubes, bulbs and other parts used to produce incandescent, fluorescent and other types of light bulbs and tubes, and remove and pack finished product
- Operate or feed machinery and equipment to produce electrical wiring devices such as fuses, plugs, caps, sockets, connectors and switches
- Operate equipment to apply protective coatings to items such as freezer cabinets, small electric motors or transformer assemblies
- Perform minor repairs to items rejected from production line
- Set up and adjust production machinery and equipment for operation.
Inspectors and testers in this unit group perform some or all of the following duties:
- Check in-process and completed production items for visual or mechanical defects or operate testing equipment to maintain quality of products
- Identify and mark acceptable and defective assemblies and return faulty assemblies to production for repair
- Collect, record and summarize inspection results.
- Some secondary school education is usually required.
- On-the-job training is provided.
- Inspectors may require experience as an assembler in the same company.
- With experience, machine operators may progress to inspecting and testing positions.
- Progression to supervisory positions is possible with experience.