National Occupational Classification (NOC) 2011
- 9 - Occupations in manufacturing and utilities
- 94 - Processing and manufacturing machine operators and related production workers
- 941 - Machine operators and related workers in mineral and metal products processing and manufacturing
9418 - Other metal products machine operators
This unit group includes metal products machine operators, not elsewhere classified, who operate one or more automatic or multi-purpose machines to produce a variety of metal parts and products, such as wire mesh, nails, bolts and chains. They are employed by a wide variety of metal products manufacturing companies.
- bolt machine operator
- bullet maker
- can-forming machine operator
- chain-making machine operator
- metal cable maker operator
- nail making machine tender
- spring machine operator
- wire screen maker
- wire weaver
- Machining tool operators (9417)
- Metalworking and forging machine operators (9416)
- Supervisors of machine operators in this unit group (See 9226 Supervisors, other mechanical and metal products manufacturing)
Machine operators in this unit group perform some or all of the following duties:
- Operate or tend automatic or multi-purpose machines including wire looms to produce metal parts and metal products such as wire screening, fencing, tinware, metal baskets, racks, hooks, metal tubing and similar articles
- Fit and assemble components using hand and power tools
- Clean, polish, file or otherwise finish products
- Check products for quality and other specifications
- May clean and lubricate machinery.
- Some secondary school education is usually required.
- On-the-job training is provided.
- Experience as a labourer in the same company may be required.
- There is some mobility among machine operators in this unit group.
- Progression to supervisory positions is possible with experience.
- Date modified: