National Occupational Classification (NOC) 2011
- 8 - Natural resources, agriculture and related production occupations
- 84 - Workers in natural resources, agriculture and related production
- 844 - Other workers in fishing and trapping and hunting occupations
8441 - Fishing vessel deckhands
Fishing vessel deckhands perform a variety of manual tasks on commercial fishing voyages, and maintain fishing vessels. They are employed by establishments that operate commercial fishing vessels and by self-employed fishermen/women.
- crewman/woman, fishing vessel
- deckhand, seiner
- fishing vessel deckhand
- icer, fishing vessel
- netmender, fishing vessel
- Deck officers, water transport (2273)
- Fishermen/women (8262)
- Fishing masters and officers (8261)
Fishing vessel deckhands perform some or all of the following duties:
- Prepare nets, lines and other fishing tackle, and operate fishing gear to catch fish and other marine life
- Clean, sort and pack fish in ice and stow catch in hold
- Repair nets, splice ropes and maintain fishing gear and other deck equipment
- Clean deck surfaces and fish hold
- Handle mooring lines during docking
- May steer vessels to and from fishing areas
- May prepare and cook meals for crew members.
- There are no specific educational requirements.
- On-the-job training is provided.
- Trawlermen/women require at least one year of experience.
- Fishing vessel deckhands require a commercial fishing licence.
- Fishing vessel deckhands may become skippers upon acquiring an entry licence and a boat.
- Fishing vessel deckhands may progress to watchkeeper or mate positions with additional training.
Report a problem on this page
Is something not working? Is there information outdated? Can't find what you're looking for?
Please contact us and let us know how we can help you.
- Date modified: