National Occupational Classification (NOC) 2011
- 7 - Trades, transport and equipment operators and related occupations
- 75 - Transport and heavy equipment operation and related maintenance occupations
- 752 - Heavy equipment operators
7521 - Heavy equipment operators (except crane)
Heavy equipment operators operate heavy equipment used in the construction and maintenance of roads, bridges, airports, gas and oil pipelines, tunnels, buildings and other structures; in surface mining and quarrying activities; and in material handling work. They are employed by construction companies, heavy equipment contractors, public works departments and pipeline, logging, cargo-handling and other companies.
- backhoe operator
- bulldozer operator
- excavator operator
- gradall operator
- grader operator
- heavy equipment operator
- heavy equipment operator apprentice
- loader operator - construction
- side boom tractor operator
- surface mining equipment operator
- Contractors and supervisors, heavy equipment operator crews (7302)
- Crane operators (7371)
- Forklift and industrial truck operators (See 7452 Material handlers)
- Logging machinery operators (8241)
- Underground production and development miners (8231)
Heavy equipment operators perform some or all of the following duties:
- Operate heavy equipment such as backhoes, bulldozers, loaders and graders to excavate, move, load and grade earth, rock, gravel or other materials during construction and related activities
- Operate bulldozers or other heavy equipment to clear brush and stumps prior to logging activities and to build roads at logging and surface mining sites
- Operate heavy equipment with pile driver head to drive piling into earth to provide support for buildings, bridges or other structures
- Operate heavy dredging equipment to deepen waterways or reclaim earth fill
- Operate heavy paving and surfacing equipment to lay, spread or compact concrete, asphalt and other surface materials during highway and road construction
- Operate power shovels to excavate rock, ore or other materials from open-pit mines, strip mines, quarries or construction pits
- Operate heavy equipment to move, load and unload cargo
- Conduct pre-operational checks on equipment and clean, lubricate and refill equipment.
- Some secondary school education is required.
- Completion of a one- to two-year apprenticeship program
Some high school, college or industry courses in heavy equipment operating combined with on-the-job training are required.
- Trade certification is compulsory in Quebec and available, but voluntary, in Newfoundland and Labrador, the Northwest Territories and Nunavut.
- Internal company certification may be required by some employers.
- Progression to supervisory positions is possible with experience.