National Occupational Classification (NOC) 2011
- 7 - Trades, transport and equipment operators and related occupations
- 73 - Maintenance and equipment operation trades
- 731 - Machinery and transportation equipment mechanics (except motor vehicle)
7316 - Machine fitters
Machine fitters fit, assemble and otherwise build heavy industrial machinery and transportation equipment, including aircraft engines. They are employed in industrial machinery and transportation equipment manufacturing industries.
- aircraft engine fitter
- assembly fitter
- heavy equipment fitter
- machine builder
- machine fitter
- machine tool builder
- mechanical fitter
- Aircraft assemblers (See 9521 Aircraft assemblers and aircraft assembly inspectors)
- Assemblers of electrical industrial equipment (See 9525 Assemblers, fabricators and inspectors, industrial electrical motors and transformers)
- Mechanical assemblers and inspectors (9526)
- Millwrights (See 7311 Construction millwrights and industrial mechanics)
- Supervisors of machine fitters (See 7301 Contractors and supervisors, mechanic trades)
- Welders and related machine operators (7237)
Machine fitters perform some or all of the following duties:
- Read and interpret blueprints, sketches and diagrams to determine assembly operations
- Fit and assemble prefabricated metal parts to build heavy industrial machinery and equipment such as construction, farming, and processing machinery, railway vehicles and aircraft engines
- Move and align subassemblies and components using lifting and transporting devices such as overhead cranes
- Install major components such as gears, pumps, motors or hydraulic assemblies
- Inspect parts, subassemblies and finished products to ensure quality.
- Completion of secondary school is usually required.
- Completion of a mechanical apprenticeship program, such as millwrighting, machining, pipefitting, automotive service or heavy equipment repair
Completion of a four-year machine fitter apprenticeship program
Completion of five years of on-the-job training is usually required.
- Completion of a two- to three-year college program in aircraft manufacturing or general fabrication is required for aircraft engine fitters.
- Certification in a related trade may be required.
- Progression to supervisory positions is possible with experience.