National Occupational Classification (NOC) 2011
- 7 - Trades, transport and equipment operators and related occupations
- 73 - Maintenance and equipment operation trades
- 730 - Contractors and supervisors, maintenance trades and heavy equipment and transport operators
7304 - Supervisors, railway transport operations
Supervisors in this unit group supervise and co-ordinate the activities of railway and yard locomotive engineers, railway yard workers and railway labourers. They are employed by railway transport companies.
- railway transport operations supervisor
- road foreman/woman, freight train
- yard foreman/woman - railway
- yardmaster - railway
- Supervisors of railway car repairers and locomotive mechanics (See 7301 Contractors and supervisors, mechanic trades)
- Supervisors of railway track maintenance crews (See 7302 Contractors and supervisors, heavy equipment operator crews)
Supervisors in this unit group perform some or all of the following duties:
- Supervise, co-ordinate and schedule the activities of workers who operate trains, drive locomotives in railway yards and perform other duties related to railway operations
- Establish methods to meet work schedules and co-ordinate work activities with other departments
- Resolve work problems and recommend measures to improve performance
- Requisition materials and supplies
- Train staff in job duties, safety procedures and company policy
- Recommend personnel actions such as hiring and promotions
- Prepare work reports.
- Completion of secondary school is usually required.
- A Canadian Rail Operating Rules certificate is required.
- A certificate in accordance with the Railway Employee Qualification Standards Regulations is required.
- Several years of railway operations experience are required.