National Occupational Classification (NOC) 2011
- 7 - Trades, transport and equipment operators and related occupations
- 73 - Maintenance and equipment operation trades
- 730 - Contractors and supervisors, maintenance trades and heavy equipment and transport operators
7303 - Supervisors, printing and related occupations
Supervisors in this unit group supervise and co-ordinate the activities of workers who produce camera work and printing plates and cylinders, process film, print text and illustrations on paper, metal and other material, and bind and finish printed products. They are employed by companies that specialize in commercial printing or one of its components, such as binding or colour reproduction, in combined printing and publishing companies, such as newspapers and magazines, and in various establishments in both the public and private sectors that have in-house printing departments.
- bindery foreman/woman - printing
- bindery supervisor - printing
- composing room supervisor - printing
- film processing supervisor
- finishing supervisor - printing
- photographic and film processing foreman/woman
- platemaking supervisor - printing
- prepress supervisor - printing
- pressroom supervisor - printing
- Printing plant managers (See 0911 Manufacturing managers)
- Supervisors of desktop publishing operators (See 1211 Supervisors, general office and administrative support workers)
Supervisors in this unit group perform some or all of the following duties:
- Supervise, co-ordinate and schedule activities of workers who produce camera work and printing plates and cylinders; process film; and print, bind and finish books, newspapers, business forms and other printed products
- Establish methods to meet work schedules and co-ordinate work activities with other departments
- Review and approve all job proofs or samples in order to ensure quality of work meets client specifications
- Requisition materials and supplies
- Resolve work problems, provide technical advice and recommend measures to improve productivity and product quality
- Train staff in job duties, safety procedures and company policies
- Recommend personnel actions such as hiring and promotions
- Prepare production and other reports
- May set up machines or equipment.
- Completion of secondary school is required.
- Completion of a college program in graphic arts technology may be required.
- Several years of experience in the work area supervised is usually required.
- Provincial trade certification may be required for some occupations in this unit group.
- Progression to management positions, such as department, production or plant manager, is possible with experience.