National Occupational Classification (NOC) 2011
6611 - Cashiers
Cashiers operate cash registers, optical price scanners, computers or other equipment to record and accept payment for the purchase of goods, services and admissions. They are employed in stores, restaurants, theatres, recreational and sports establishments, currency exchange booths, government offices, business offices and other service, retail and wholesale establishments.
- box office cashier
- cafeteria cashier
- grocery store cashier
- office cashier
- racetrack cashier
- self-serve gas bar cashier
- theatre cashier
- Customer services representatives - financial institutions (6551)
- Head cashiers (See 6211 Retail sales supervisors)
- Retail salespersons (6421)
- Service station attendants (6621)
Cashiers perform some or all of the following duties:
- Greet customers
- Establish or identify price of goods, services or admission and tabulate total payment required using electronic or other cash register, optical price scanner or other equipment
- Weigh produce and bulk foods
- Receive and process payments by cash, cheque, credit card or automatic debit
- Wrap or place merchandise in bags
- Provide information to customers
- Assist sports spectators and theatre patrons with seat selection
- Calculate foreign currency exchange
- Calculate total payments received at end of work shift and reconcile with total sales
- Verify the age of customers when selling lottery tickets, alcohol or tobacco products
- May accept reservations and take-out orders
- May also stock shelves and clean check-out counter area.
- Some secondary school education is usually required. High school graduation may be required by some employers.
- Eligibility for bonding may be required.
- A casino gaming licence may be required for cashiers working in gambling casinos.
- Cashiers may progress to supervisory positions, such as head cashier, with additional training or experience.
Report a problem on this page
Is something not working? Is there information outdated? Can't find what you're looking for?
Please contact us and let us know how we can help you.
- Date modified: