National Occupational Classification (NOC) 2011
- 5 - Occupations in art, culture, recreation and sport
- 51 - Professional occupations in art and culture
- 511 - Librarians, archivists, conservators and curators
5111 - Librarians
Librarians select, develop, organize and maintain library collections and provide advisory services for users. They are employed in libraries or in a department within a library.
- cataloguer - library
- liaison librarian
- library consultant
- library supervisor
- Library and public archive technicians (5211)
- Library curators (See 5112 Conservators and curators)
- Library directors and managers (See 0511 Library, archive, museum and art gallery managers)
- School librarians (See 5211 Library and public archive technicians)
- Teacher-librarian, elementary school (See 4032 Elementary school and kindergarten teachers)
- Teacher-librarian, high school (See 4031 Secondary school teachers)
Librarians perform some or all of the following duties:
- Recommend acquisition of books, periodicals and audio-visual, interactive media and other materials for inclusion in library collection
- Provide reference services
- Select, classify, catalogue and weed library materials
- Prepare bibliographies, indexes, reading lists, guides and other finding aids
- Develop systems to access library collections
- Perform manual, on-line and interactive media reference searches to assist users in accessing library materials and arrange for interlibrary loans
- Develop taxonomies using various information and data sources
- Provide specialized programs for children, seniors and other groups
- Conduct library information and orientation training programs and tours
- Perform related administrative duties and supervise library technicians, assistants and clerks.
- A master's degree in library science is required.
- Progression to library management positions is possible with experience.