National Occupational Classification (NOC) 2011


Statistics Canada's Trust Centre: Learn how Statistics Canada keeps your data safe and protects your privacy.

4216 - Other instructors

Instructors in this unit group teach courses, such as motor vehicle or motorcycle driving, sailing and navigation, sewing or other courses, which are outside of educational institutions and not primarily job-related. They are employed by driving schools, fabric retailers and other commercial establishments or they may be self-employed. This unit group also includes modelling and finishing school instructors, driver's licence examiners, who are employed by provincial governments and tutors who provide instruction in elementary or secondary school subjects.

  • Illustrative example(s)

    • driver's licence examiner
    • driving instructor
    • instructor, modelling and finishing school
    • motorcycle driving instructor
    • sewing instructor - non-vocational

    All examples

  • Exclusion(s)

    • College and other vocational instructors (4021)
    • Elementary school and kindergarten teachers (4032)
    • Secondary school teachers (4031)
  • Main duties

    The following is a summary of main duties for some occupations in this unit group:

    • Driving instructors instruct individuals on proper motor vehicle driving skills and traffic regulations, demonstrate and explain the handling and mechanical operation of motor vehicles and supervise individuals during practice driving.
    • Driver's licence examiners conduct road test examinations and evaluate the driving ability of applicants for driver's licences.
    • Sewing instructors give instruction to students in techniques and skills of sewing, tailoring and dressmaking.
    • Modelling and finishing school instructors give instruction on comportment, personal development, make-up application and modelling techniques for fashion shows and magazine advertising.
  • Employment requirements

    • Expertise in the field of instruction must be demonstrated.
    • Driving instructors must obtain special licensing as a driving instructor in the province of employment.
    • Certification by the Canadian Yachting Association may be required for sailing and navigation instructors.
Date modified: