National Occupational Classification (NOC) 2011
- 1 - Business, finance and administration occupations
- 12 - Administrative and financial supervisors and administrative occupations
- 125 - Court reporters, transcriptionists, records management technicians and statistical officers
1253 - Records management technicians
Records management technicians operate and maintain systems for the collection, classification, retrieval and retention of records, images, documents and information. Records management technicians are employed throughout the private and public sectors.
- information management technician
- microfilm records searcher
- records classifier
- records digitizing technician
- records technician
- Health information management occupations (1252)
- Health records clerks (See 1411 General office support workers)
- Library and public archive technicians (5211)
- Records management specialists (See 1122 Professional occupations in business management consulting)
- Records management supervisors (See 1211 Supervisors, general office and administrative support workers)
Records management technicians perform some or all of the following duties:
- Implement and update records classification, retention and disposal scheduling plans
- Classify, code, cross-reference, log and store records
- Develop document inventories and maintain indexes for classification systems
- Operate information retrieval systems to research and extract records according to established guidelines in response to requests
- Label, prepare and transfer information files according to established records management life-cycle procedures and schedules
- Maintain access lists for security classified records
- Compile statistics and reports on activities within records management services.
- Records management technicians usually require completion of a two- to three-year college program in information or records management technology.
- Two to three years experience in a records management environment may be required.
- Progression to supervisory positions is possible with additional training and experience.