National Occupational Classification (NOC) 2011
- 1 - Business, finance and administration occupations
- 11 - Professional occupations in business and finance
- 112 - Human resources and business service professionals
1123 - Professional occupations in advertising, marketing and public relations
This unit group includes specialists in advertising, marketing and public relations who analyse, develop and implement communication and promotion strategies and information programs, analyse advertising needs and develop appropriate advertising and marketing plans, publicize activities and events, and maintain media relations on behalf of businesses, governments and other organizations, and for performers, athletes, writers and other talented individuals. They are employed by consulting firms, advertising agencies, corporations, associations, government, social agencies, museums, galleries, public interest groups, and cultural and other organizations, or they may be self-employed. Agents such as entertainment, literary and sports agents are included in this unit group.
- advertising consultant
- communications officer
- communications specialist
- event marketing specialist
- fundraising consultant
- information officer
- literary agent
- media co-ordinator
- media relations officer
- museum educator
- performers agent
- press secretary
- public affairs officer
- public relations consultant
- public relations officer
- publicity agent
- Authors and writers (5121)
- Conference and event planners (1226)
- Marketing consultants (See 4163 Business development officers and marketing researchers and consultants)
- Public relations managers (See 0124 Advertising, marketing and public relations managers)
Specialists in advertising, marketing and public relations perform some or all of the following duties:
- Assess characteristics of products or services to be promoted and advise on the advertising needs of an establishment
- Advise clients on advertising or sales promotion strategies
- Develop and implement advertising campaigns appropriate for print or electronic media
- Gather, research and prepare communications material for internal and external audiences
- Develop, implement and evaluate communications strategies and programs designed to inform clients, employees and the general public of initiatives and policies of businesses, governments and other organizations
- Conduct public opinion and attitude surveys to identify the interests and concerns of key groups served by their organization
- Prepare or oversee preparation of reports, briefs, bibliographies, speeches, presentations, Web sites and press releases
- Develop and organize workshops, meetings, ceremonies and other events for publicity, fundraising and information purposes
- Prepare and deliver educational and publicity programs and informational materials to increase awareness of museums, galleries and other tourist attractions
- Initiate and maintain contact with the media
- Arrange interviews and news conferences
- Act as spokesperson for an organization and answer written and oral inquiries
- Co-ordinate special publicity events and promotions for internal and external audiences
- Assist in the preparation of brochures, reports, newsletters and other material
- Represent and act as an agent for talented individuals or individuals with specific occupational expertise
- Prepare or oversee preparation of sports, literary, performance or other contracts.
Literary agents specialize in representing specific types of authors and writers. Performance agents specialize in representing singers, musicians, actors or other performers. Sports agents specialize in representing specific athletes or sports teams.
- A university degree or college diploma in business marketing, public relations, communications, journalism, museology or a discipline related to a particular subject matter is usually required.
- Practitioners in public relations may require an APR (Accredited in Public Relations) designation.
- Progression to managerial positions in public relations, communications and fundraising is possible with additional training and experience.