National Occupational Classification (NOC) 2011
0011 - Legislators
Legislators participate in the activities of a federal, provincial, territorial or local government legislative body or executive council, band council or school board as elected or appointed members.
- cabinet minister
- city councillor
- First Nations band chief
- governor general
- Member of Legislative Assembly (MLA)
- Member of Parliament (MP)
- Member of the National Assembly (MNA)
- Member of the Provincial Parliament (MPP)
- prime minister
- school board trustee
- Commissioners - government services (See 0012 Senior government managers and officials)
- Elected or appointed officials of health care institutions, educational institutions, unions and voluntary organizations (See 0014 Senior managers - health, education, social and community services and membership organizations)
Legislators perform some or all of the following duties:
- Enact, amend or repeal laws and regulations
- Participate in developing or amending government policies, programs or procedures
- Represent their government at local, national and international meetings and conferences
- Respond to matters of concern to constituents or the general public
- May serve as minister responsible for a government department or agency and direct senior government managers and officials in the implementation of government policy and the management of that department or agency.
- Election to a legislative body, or appointment to positions such as senator, lieutenant-governor or governor general, is required.