North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) Canada 2012
This sector comprises establishments primarily engaged in operating facilities or providing services to meet the cultural, entertainment and recreational interests of their patrons. These establishments produce, promote or participate in live performances, events or exhibits intended for public viewing; provide the artistic, creative and technical skills necessary for the production of artistic products and live performances; preserve and exhibit objects and sites of historical, cultural or educational interest; and operate facilities or provide services that enable patrons to participate in sports or recreational activities or pursue amusement, hobbies and leisure-time interests.
There are establishments engaged in activities related to arts and recreation that are classified in other sectors of NAICS. The most important are listed below.
- transportation establishments providing sightseeing and pleasure cruises(48-49)
- motion picture theatres, libraries and archives, and publishers of newspapers, magazines, books, periodicals and computer software (See 51 Information and cultural industries)
- establishments that provide both accommodation and recreational facilities, such as hunting and fishing camps, resorts and casino hotels (See 721 Accommodation services)
- restaurants and night clubs that provide live entertainment in addition to the sale of food and beverages (See 722 Food services and drinking places)
This subsector comprises establishments primarily engaged in producing, or organizing and promoting, live presentations that involve the performances of actors and actresses, singers, dancers, musical groups and artists, athletes and other entertainers. This subsector also includes independent (freelance) entertainers and artists and the establishments that manage their careers. The classification recognizes four basic processes: producing events; organizing and promoting events; managing and representing entertainers; and providing the artistic, creative and technical skills necessary for the production of artistic products and live performances.
This subsector makes a clear distinction between performing arts companies and performing artists (independents). Although not unique to arts and entertainment, freelancing is a particularly important phenomenon in this subsector; however, it is difficult to implement in the case of musical groups (companies) and artists, especially pop groups. These establishments tend to be more loosely organized and it can be difficult to distinguish companies from freelancers. Therefore, this subsector includes one industry that covers both musical groups and musical artists.
This industry group comprises independent individuals (freelance) primarily engaged in performing in artistic productions, creating artistic and cultural works or productions, or providing technical expertise necessary for these productions. Independent celebrities, such as athletes, engaging in endorsement, speaking and similar services, are included.
This industry comprises independent individuals (freelance) primarily engaged in performing in artistic productions, creating artistic and cultural works or productions, or providing technical expertise necessary for these productions. Independent celebrities, such as athletes, engaging in endorsement, speaking and similar services, are included.
- agents and managers for artists and entertainers (See 711410 Agents and managers for artists, athletes, entertainers and other public figures)
711511 - Independent visual artists and artisansCAN
This Canadian industry comprises establishments primarily engaged in creating visual art and craft works using a studio-based method of production. These works are artistic and cultural objects, designed by the producing establishment, made in small quantities, of any material. The typical labour force is an artist, artisan or craftsperson, sometimes assisted by other artists, artisans, craftspersons or apprentices. Conservators operating on own account and independent photojournalists are also included.
- artists (except commercial, medical and musical), independent
- bookbinding, artisanal
- furniture, artisanal production
- musical instruments, artisanal production
- photojournalist, freelance
- pottery, studio based production
- quilting, artisanal
- sculptors (artistic)
- sketch artists, independent
- taxidermists, independent
- Ukrainian eggs, hand-painting
- production of goods in quantity(31-33)
- production of non-durable goods, such as baked goods, soaps, lotions, creams, etc., in small batches(31-33)
- design of products, but not their production (See 541420 Industrial design services)
- graphic design, but not printing (See 541430 Graphic design services)
- providing commercial and medical illustration services (See 541430 Graphic design services)
- design of clothing and jewellery, but not their production (See 541490 Other specialized design services)
711512 - Independent actors, comedians and performersCAN
This Canadian industry comprises independent individuals (freelance) primarily engaged in performing in artistic and cultural productions, or providing technical expertise necessary for these works. Independent celebrities, such as athletes, engaged in endorsement, speaking and similar services are included, as are independent radio and television journalists.
- celebrity spokesperson, independent
- comedians, independent
- disc jockey, independent
- journalists, radio and television, independent
- models, independent
- motion picture directors, independent
- stage sets, erecting and dismantling
- independent musicians and vocalists (See 711130 Musical groups and artists)
711513 - Independent writers and authorsCAN
This Canadian industry comprises independent individuals (freelance) primarily engaged in creating artistic and cultural literary works, technical writing or copywriting. Independent print journalists are included.
- freelance journalist
- journalists, print, independent
- newspaper columnists, independent
- playwrights, independent
- reporters, independent
- song writers, independent