North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) Canada 2017 Version 3.0
31-33 - Manufacturing
This sector comprises establishments primarily engaged in the chemical, mechanical or physical transformation of materials or substances into new products. These products may be finished, in the sense that they are ready to be used or consumed, or semi-finished, in the sense of becoming a raw material for an establishment to use in further manufacturing. Related activities, such as the assembly of the component parts of manufactured goods; the blending of materials; and the finishing of manufactured products by dyeing, heat-treating, plating and similar operations are also treated as manufacturing activities. Manufacturing establishments are known by a variety of trade designations, such as plants, factories or mills.
Manufacturing establishments may own the materials which they transform or they may transform materials owned by other establishments. Manufacturing may take place in factories or in workers' homes, using either machinery or hand tools.
Units that completely outsource the transformation process but own the input materials are classified to the manufacturing sector. Units that completely outsource the transformation process but do not own the materials are classified to merchant wholesalers in Sector 41 Wholesale trade. These units are in fact buying the completed goods from the producer with the intention to resell it. These units may design the goods being manufactured, and may have some say in the manufacturing process.
Certain activities involving the transformation of goods are classified in other sectors. Some examples are post-harvest activities of agricultural establishments, such as crop drying; logging; the beneficiating of mineral ores; the production of structures by construction establishments; and various activities conducted by retailers, such as meat cutting and the assembly of products such as bicycles and computers.
Sales branches or offices (but not retail stores) maintained by manufacturing, refining, or mining enterprises apart from their plants or mines for the purpose of marketing their products are included in Sector 41 Wholesale trade as merchant wholesalers.
311 - Food manufacturing
This subsector comprises establishments primarily engaged in producing food for human or animal consumption.
- manufacturing beverages or tobacco (See 312 Beverage and tobacco product manufacturing)
3119 - Other food manufacturing
This industry group comprises establishments, not classified to any other industry group, primarily engaged in manufacturing food.
31194 - Seasoning and dressing manufacturing
This industry comprises establishments primarily engaged in manufacturing dressings and seasonings.
311940 - Seasoning and dressing manufacturingMEX
This Canadian industry comprises establishments primarily engaged in manufacturing dressings and seasonings.
- cheese-based salad dressings, manufacturing
- dry mixes (e.g., gravy, salad dressing, sauce), manufacturing
- food colourings, natural, manufacturing
- malt extract, manufacturing
- mayonnaise and prepared mustard, manufacturing
- processing purchased salt into table salt, manufacturing
- salad dressings, manufacturing
- salt, substitute, manufacturing
- sandwich spreads, manufacturing
- sauce (e.g., horseradish, soy and tartar), manufacturing
- spice grinding and blending
- vinegar and cider vinegar, manufacturing
- manufacturing cheese-based dips (See 311515 Butter, cheese, and dry and condensed dairy product manufacturing)
- manufacturing coffee flavouring extracts (See 311920 Coffee and tea manufacturing)
- manufacturing flavouring syrups (See 311930 Flavouring syrup and concentrate manufacturing)
- manufacturing industrial salts (See 325999 All other miscellaneous chemical product manufacturing)
- manufacturing ketchup and other tomato-based sauces; canning gravy; manufacturing bouillon and dry salad dressing mixes by dehydrating ingredients (See 311420 Fruit and vegetable canning, pickling and drying)
- manufacturing sour-cream based dips (See 311511 Fluid milk manufacturing)
- meat extracts (except poultry and small game), made from purchased meat (See 311614 Rendering and meat processing from carcasses)
- meat extracts (except poultry and small game), produced in slaughtering plants (See 311611 Animal (except poultry) slaughtering)
Report a problem on this page
Is something not working? Is there information outdated? Can't find what you're looking for?
Please contact us and let us know how we can help you.
- Date modified: