North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) Canada 2017 Version 3.0
This sector comprises establishments primarily engaged in growing crops, raising animals, harvesting timber, harvesting fish and other animals from their natural habitats and providing related support activities.
Establishments primarily engaged in agricultural research or that supply veterinary services are not included in this sector.
This subsector comprises establishments, such as farms, orchards, groves, greenhouses and nurseries, primarily engaged in growing crops, plants, vines, trees and their seeds (excluding those engaged in forestry operations). Industries have been created taking into account input factors, such as suitable land, climatic conditions, type of equipment, and the amount and type of labour required. The production process is typically completed when the raw product or commodity grown reaches the farm gate for market, that is, at the point of first sale or price determination. Establishments in these industries may use traditional crop production methods, employ modified or improved crop inputs, or engage in organic crop production.
An establishment is classified within this subsector provided that fifty percent or more of the establishment's agricultural production consists of crops. Establishments with fifty percent or more crop production and with no one product or family of products accounting for fifty percent of the production are treated as combination crop farms and classified to 11199 All other crop farming, except if fifty percent or more of the production is a combination of oilseeds and grains, in which case they are classified to 11119 Other grain farming.
This industry group comprises establishments primarily engaged in growing crops of any kind under cover, growing nursery crops and growing flowers. Under cover includes in greenhouses, cold frames, cloth houses, and lath houses. The crops grown are removed at various stages of maturity.
This industry comprises establishments primarily engaged in growing food crops under glass or protective cover.
111411 - Mushroom productionUS
This Canadian industry comprises establishments primarily engaged in growing mushrooms under cover.
111412 - Cannabis grown under coverCAN
This Canadian industry comprises establishments primarily engaged in growing cannabis under glass or protective cover.
- cannabis grown hydroponically
- cannabis grown in climate controlled pods
- cannabis grown under cover
- cannabis seeds and seedlings grown under cover
- harvesting, trimming, curing and drying cannabis grown under cover
- processing for primary markets cannabis grown under cover
- cannabis grown in open fields (See 111995 Cannabis grown in open fields)
- hemp growing (See 111999 All other miscellaneous crop farming)
111419 - Other food crops grown under coverUS
This Canadian industry comprises establishments, not classified to any other Canadian industry, primarily engaged in growing food crops under glass or protective cover.
- herb and spice crops grown under cover
- hydroponic crops, grown under cover
- market gardening, greenhouse
- vegetable food crops grown in greenhouses
- cannabis grown under cover (See 111412 Cannabis grown under cover)
- growing vegetable and melon bedding plants, in open fields (See 111219 Other vegetable (except potato) and melon farming)
- raising both aquatic animals and plants in integrated growing operations, aquaponics (See 112510 Aquaculture)