North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) Canada 2017 Version 3.0
This sector comprises establishments primarily engaged in the chemical, mechanical or physical transformation of materials or substances into new products. These products may be finished, in the sense that they are ready to be used or consumed, or semi-finished, in the sense of becoming a raw material for an establishment to use in further manufacturing. Related activities, such as the assembly of the component parts of manufactured goods; the blending of materials; and the finishing of manufactured products by dyeing, heat-treating, plating and similar operations are also treated as manufacturing activities. Manufacturing establishments are known by a variety of trade designations, such as plants, factories or mills.
Manufacturing establishments may own the materials which they transform or they may transform materials owned by other establishments. Manufacturing may take place in factories or in workers' homes, using either machinery or hand tools.
Units that completely outsource the transformation process but own the input materials are classified to the manufacturing sector. Units that completely outsource the transformation process but do not own the materials are classified to merchant wholesalers in Sector 41 Wholesale trade. These units are in fact buying the completed goods from the producer with the intention to resell it. These units may design the goods being manufactured, and may have some say in the manufacturing process.
Certain activities involving the transformation of goods are classified in other sectors. Some examples are post-harvest activities of agricultural establishments, such as crop drying; logging; the beneficiating of mineral ores; the production of structures by construction establishments; and various activities conducted by retailers, such as meat cutting and the assembly of products such as bicycles and computers.
Sales branches or offices (but not retail stores) maintained by manufacturing, refining, or mining enterprises apart from their plants or mines for the purpose of marketing their products are included in Sector 41 Wholesale trade as merchant wholesalers.
This subsector comprises establishments primarily engaged in manufacturing yarn or textile fabrics, or finishing yarn, textile fabrics or clothing. Establishments primarily engaged in manufacturing both fabrics and textile products, except knitted clothing, are included.
- manufacturing clothing (See 315 Clothing manufacturing)
- manufacturing textile products, except clothing, from purchased fabric (See 314 Textile product mills)
This industry group comprises establishments primarily engaged in spinning yarn from fibres; texturing, throwing or twisting man-made fibre filaments or purchased yarns; or manufacturing thread for sewing, crocheting, embroidery, tatting and similar uses.
This industry group comprises establishments primarily engaged in manufacturing textile fabrics. Establishments classified in this industry group may finish the fabrics that they manufacture. Establishments primarily engaged in manufacturing both fabrics and textile products, except knitted clothing, are included.
- finishing textile fabrics; and coating fabrics (See 3133 Textile and fabric finishing and fabric coating)
- manufacturing tire cord fabric (See 314990 All other textile product mills)
This industry group comprises establishments primarily engaged in preparing and finishing yarn and thread, textile fabrics, textile products (except carpets and rugs), and clothing; and manufacturing coated or laminated fabrics.
- embroidering textile products and clothing (See 3149 Other textile product mills)
- finishing carpets and rugs (See 3141 Textile furnishings mills)
- fur dressing and dyeing (See 3161 Leather and hide tanning and finishing)
- knitting and finishing clothing in the same establishment (See 3151 Clothing knitting mills)
- manufacturing (cut-and-sew) and finishing clothing in the same establishment (See 3152 Cut and sew clothing manufacturing)
- printing on articles of clothing, made in other establishments (See 3231 Printing and related support activities)