North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) Canada 2017 Version 3.0
This sector comprises establishments primarily engaged in extracting naturally occurring minerals. These can be solids, such as coal and ores; liquids, such as crude petroleum; and gases, such as natural gas. The term mining is used in the broad sense to include quarrying, well operations, milling (for example, crushing, screening, washing, or flotation) and other preparation customarily done at the mine site, or as a part of mining activity. Establishments engaged in exploration for minerals, development of mineral properties and mining operations are included in this sector. Establishments performing similar activities, on a contract or fee basis, are also included.
This subsector comprises establishments primarily engaged in mining, beneficiating or otherwise preparing metallic and non-metallic minerals, including coal.
- providing support services, on a contract or fee basis, required for the mining and quarrying of minerals (See 21311 Support activities for mining, and oil and gas extraction)
This industry group comprises establishments primarily engaged in mining bituminous and lignite coal by underground mining, and auger mining, strip mining, culm bank mining and other surface mining. Mining operations and preparation plants (also known as cleaning plants and washeries), whether or not such plants are operated in conjunction with mine sites, are included.
This industry group comprises establishments primarily engaged in mining metallic minerals (ores). Also included are establishments engaged in ore dressing and beneficiating operations, whether performed at mills operated in conjunction with the mines served or at mills, such as custom mills, operated separately. These include mills that crush, grind, wash, dry, sinter, calcine or leach ore, or perform gravity separation or flotation operations.
This industry group comprises establishments primarily engaged in mining or quarrying non-metallic minerals, except coal. Primary preparation plants, such as those engaged in crushing, grinding and washing, are included.
- cutting and finishing stone and stone products (See 327990 All other non-metallic mineral product manufacturing)
- manufacturing brick and other structural clay products (See 327120 Clay building material and refractory manufacturing)
- manufacturing cement (See 327310 Cement manufacturing)
- manufacturing lime (See 327410 Lime manufacturing)