National Occupational Classification (NOC) 2021 Version 1.0
- 4 - Occupations in education, law and social, community and government services
- 41 - Professional occupations in law, education, social, community and government services
- 412 - Professional occupations in education services
- 4120 - University professors and post-secondary assistants
41200 - University professors and lecturers
University professors and lecturers teach courses to undergraduate and graduate students and conduct research at universities. University professors who are heads of departments are included in this unit group.
- botany assistant professor - university
- computer science professor - university
- engineering instructor - university
- English professor - university
- food sciences department chairperson - university
- French language professor - university
- geography department head - university
- lecturer - university
- linguistics associate professor
- physics department chairperson - university
- professor of medicine - university
- university professor
- postdoctoral fellow
- teacher - teacher's college
- College and other vocational instructors (See 41210 College and other vocational instructors)
- Other instructors (See 43109 Other instructors)
- Post-secondary teaching and research assistants (See 41201 Post-secondary teaching and research assistants)
This group performs some or all of the following duties:
- Teach one or more university subjects to undergraduate and graduate students
- Prepare and deliver lectures to students and conduct laboratory sessions or discussion groups
- Prepare, administer and grade examinations, laboratory assignments and reports
- Advise students on course and academic matters and career decisions
- Direct research programs of graduate students and advise on research matters
- Conduct research in field of specialization and publish findings in scholarly journals or books
- May serve on faculty committees dealing with such matters as curriculum planning and degree requirements, and perform a variety of administrative duties
- May represent their universities as speakers and guest lecturers
- May provide professional consultative services to government, industry and private individuals.
University professors and lecturers specialize in a particular subject matter such as biology, chemistry, anatomy, sociology, business administration or law.
- A doctoral degree in the field of specialization is required for university professors.
- A master's degree in the field of specialization is required for university lecturers.
- Licences or professional certification may be required for professors teaching future practitioners in certain professionally regulated fields, such as medicine, engineering, architecture, psychology or law.
- University professors who are also practitioners in their field of specialization must have the appropriate licences or certification.
- Progression to senior positions within a department, faculty or university is possible with experience.