National Occupational Classification (NOC) 2011
- 7 - Trades, transport and equipment operators and related occupations
- 73 - Maintenance and equipment operation trades
- 731 - Machinery and transportation equipment mechanics (except motor vehicle)
7311 - Construction millwrights and industrial mechanics
Construction millwrights and industrial mechanics install, maintain, troubleshoot, overhaul and repair stationary industrial machinery and mechanical equipment. This unit group includes industrial textile machinery mechanics and repairers. Construction millwrights are employed by millwrighting contractors. Industrial mechanics are employed in manufacturing plants, utilities and other industrial establishments.
- card fixer
- card grinder
- construction millwright
- fixer, textile machinery
- industrial mechanic
- industrial mechanic apprentice
- industrial sewing machine mechanic
- knitting machine mechanic
- loom fixer
- loom technician
- maintenance millwright
- mechanic, textile machines
- millwright apprentice
- open-end technician
- plant equipment mechanic
- spinning fixer
- textile fixer
- treatment plant maintenance mechanic
- Heavy-duty equipment mechanics (7312)
- Industrial instrument technicians and mechanics (2243)
- Supervisors of industrial mechanics and millwrights (See 7301 Contractors and supervisors, mechanic trades)
Construction millwrights and industrial mechanics perform some or all of the following duties:
- Read blueprints, diagrams and schematic drawings to determine work procedures
- Install, align, dismantle and move stationary industrial machinery and mechanical equipment, such as pumps, fans, tanks, conveyors, furnaces and generators according to layout plans using hand and power tools
- Operate hoisting and lifting devices such as cranes, jacks and tractors to position machinery and parts during the installation, set-up and repair of machinery
- Inspect and examine machinery and equipment to detect and investigate irregularities and malfunctions
- Install, troubleshoot and maintain power transmission, vacuum, hydraulic and pneumatic systems, and programmable logic controls
- Adjust machinery and repair or replace defective parts
- Operate machine tools such as lathes and grinders to fabricate parts required during overhaul, maintenance or set-up of machinery
- Clean, lubricate and perform other routine maintenance work on machinery
- Construct foundations for machinery or direct other workers to construct foundations
- Assemble machinery and equipment prior to installation using hand and power tools and welding equipment.
- Completion of secondary school is usually required.
- Completion of a three- to four-year apprenticeship program
A combination of over five years of work experience in the trade and some high school, college or industry courses in industrial machinery repair or millwrighting is usually required to be eligible for trade certification.
- Textile machinery mechanics hired from other industries may require additional training in textile processes and experience as a textile manufacturing machinery operator.
- Industrial mechanic (millwright) trade certification is compulsory in Quebec and available, but voluntary, in all other provinces and the territories.
- Construction millwright trade certification is available, but voluntary, in Ontario.
- Industrial sewing machine mechanic trade certification is available, but voluntary, in Quebec.
- Red Seal endorsement is also available to qualified industrial mechanics or millwrights upon successful completion of the interprovincial Red Seal examination.
- Construction millwrights are mostly engaged in the initial installation of industrial plant machinery and equipment; industrial mechanics are more concerned with the post-installation maintenance and repair of machinery and equipment.
- Industrial mechanics and millwrights may be cross-trained in a second trade such as pipefitting, welding, machining or electrical maintenance.
- The Red Seal endorsement allows for interprovincial mobility.
- Progression to supervisory positions is possible with experience.