National Occupational Classification (NOC) 2011
- 6 - Sales and service occupations
- 63 - Service supervisors and specialized service occupations
- 631 - Service supervisors
6311 - Food service supervisors
Food service supervisors, supervise, direct and co-ordinate the activities of workers who prepare, portion and serve food. They are employed by hospitals and other health care establishments and by cafeterias, catering companies and other food service establishments.
- cafeteria supervisor
- canteen supervisor
- catering supervisor
- food service supervisor
- Banquet captains (See 6513 Food and beverage servers)
- Maîtres d'hôtel and hosts/hostesses (6511)
- Restaurant and food service managers (0631)
Food service supervisors perform some or all of the following duties:
- Supervise, co-ordinate and schedule the activities of staff who prepare, portion and serve food
- Estimate and order ingredients and supplies required for meal preparation
- Prepare food order summaries for chef according to requests from dieticians, patients in hospitals or other customers
- Establish methods to meet work schedules
- Maintain records of stock, repairs, sales and wastage
- Train staff in job duties, and sanitation and safety procedures
- Supervise and check assembly of regular and special diet trays and delivery of food trolleys to hospital patients
- Ensure that food and service meet quality control standards
- May participate in the selection of food service staff and assist in the development of policies, procedures and budgets
- May plan cafeteria menus and determine related food and labour costs.
- Completion of secondary school is usually required.
- Completion of a community college program in food service administration, hotel and restaurant management or related discipline
Several years of experience in food preparation or service are required.