National Occupational Classification (NOC) 2011
- 2 - Natural and applied sciences and related occupations
- 22 - Technical occupations related to natural and applied sciences
- 223 - Technical occupations in civil, mechanical and industrial engineering
2231 - Civil engineering technologists and technicians
Civil engineering technologists and technicians provide technical support and services to scientists, engineers and other professionals, or may work independently in fields such as structural engineering, municipal engineering, construction design and supervision, highways and transportation engineering, water resources engineering, geotechnical engineering and environmental protection. They are employed by consulting engineering and construction companies, public works, transportation and other government departments and in many other industries.
- bridge design technician
- building materials technician
- civil engineering technician
- civil engineering technologist
- construction technologist
- foundation technologist
- highway technician
- municipal engineering assistant
- soil technologist - civil engineering
- specifications writer, construction
- structural design technologist
- structural investigator
- Architectural technologists and technicians (2251)
- Construction estimators (2234)
- Construction inspectors (2264)
- Construction managers (0711)
- Drafting technologists and technicians (2253)
- Land survey technologists and technicians (2254)
- Urban and land use planners (2153)
Civil engineering technologists perform some or all of the following duties:
- Develop engineering designs and drawings from preliminary concepts and sketches
- Prepare construction specifications, cost and material estimates, project schedules and reports
- Supervise or conduct field surveys, inspections or technical investigations of topography, soils, drainage and water supply systems, road and highway systems, buildings and structures to provide data for engineering projects
- Conduct or supervise inspection and testing of construction materials
- May supervise, monitor and inspect construction projects.
Civil engineering technicians perform some or all of the following duties:
- Assist in developing engineering specifications and drawings
- Participate in field surveys, inspections or technical investigations of topography, soils, drainage and water supply systems, road and highway systems, buildings and structures to provide data for engineering projects
- Perform other technical functions in support of civil engineering activities.
- Completion of a two- or three-year college program in civil engineering technology or a closely related discipline is usually required for civil engineering technologists.
- Completion of a one- or two-year college program in civil engineering technology is usually required for civil engineering technicians.
- Certification in civil engineering technology or in a related field is available through provincial associations of engineering/applied science technologists and technicians and may be required for some positions.
- A period of supervised work experience, usually two years, is required before certification.
- In Quebec, membership in the regulatory body for professional technologists is required to use the title "Professional Technologist."
- There is mobility to related occupations, such as drafting technologists and technicians and construction inspectors and estimators.
- Progression to construction supervisors or construction managers is possible with experience.