National Occupational Classification (NOC) 2016 Version 1.3
- 0 - Management occupations
- 01-05 - Specialized middle management occupations
- 011 - Administrative services managers
0113 - Purchasing managers
Purchasing managers plan, organize, direct, control and evaluate the activities of a purchasing department and develop and implement the purchasing policies of a business or institution. They are employed throughout the public and private sectors.
- contract manager
- food purchasing manager
- material manager
- procurement director
- purchasing contracts manager
- purchasing director
- supply chain logistics manager
- Purchasing agents and officers (See 1225 Purchasing agents and officers)
- Retail and wholesale buyers (See 6222 Retail and wholesale buyers)
- Warehouse managers (See 0714 Facility operation and maintenance managers)
This group performs some or all of the following duties:
- Plan, organize, direct, control and evaluate the purchasing activities of an establishment
- Develop purchasing policies and procedures and control purchasing department budget
- Identify vendors of materials, equipment or supplies
- Evaluate cost and quality of goods or services
- Negotiate or oversee the negotiation of purchase contracts
- Participate in the development of specifications for equipment, products or substitute materials
- Review and process claims against suppliers
- Interview, hire and oversee training of staff.
- A bachelor's degree or college diploma in business administration, commerce or economics is usually required.
- Purchasing managers responsible for units purchasing specialized materials or business services may require a related degree or diploma. For example, a bachelor's degree or college diploma in engineering may be required for purchasing managers responsible for purchasing industrial products.
- The designation Supply Chain Management Professional (SCMP) or registration in the educational program of the Supply Chain Management Association may be required.
- Several years of experience as a purchasing agent or officer are required.