Survey of Canada Portfolio Investment, 2021 (BP-54)
For Information onlyThis is an electronic survey example for information purposes only. This is not a working questionnaire.
This statistical program measures at a point in time the value and composition of Canada's financial assets and liabilities with non-residents.
This survey is conducted to determine the amount and types of securities owned by Canadian Portfolio Investors. The data are combined with other data on international assets and liabilities to provide financial markets and domestic and international regulators with sound information on the evolving liability structures of countries and the distribution of these liabilities by industry and type of security.
This survey is conducted under the authority of the Statistics Act, Revised Statutes of Canada, 1985, Chapter S-19. COMPLETION OF THIS QUESTIONNAIRE IS A LEGAL REQUIREMENT UNDER THE STATISTICS ACT.
Statistics Canada is prohibited by law from releasing any information it collects which could identify any person, business, or organization, unless consent has been given by the respondent or as permitted by the Statistics Act. Statistics Canada will use the information from this survey for statistical purposes.
To enhance the data from this survey and to minimize the reporting burden, Statistics Canada may combine it with information from other surveys or from administrative sources.
Security of emails and faxes
If you choose to transmit the questionnaire to Statistics Canada by facsimile or other electronic transmission, please be advised that there could be a risk of disclosure during the communication. However, upon receipt of your information, Statistics Canada will provide the guaranteed level of protection afforded all information collected under the authority of the Statistics Act.
Your completed submission should be returned by April 7, 20XX.
In a single file using Excel or ASCII with delimiters, data may be submitted on electronic media to:
International Accounts and Trade Division
Survey of Canadian Portfolio Investment
Jean Talon bldg., 8th Floor
Data submissions can also be sent by email to: email@example.com
- Report detailed portfolio holdings of securities as of December 31 20XX.
- Include any tables of concordance for country codes, industry codes and currency codes if different from the BP-54 requested codes.
Portfolio investment is defined as investment in equity or debt securities (bonds or money market instruments) undertaken for the sake of investment income or capital gains. Unlike direct investors, portfolio investors have no significant influence on the orientation and management of the enterprise in which they invest.
For further information, a survey guide is available upon request. You may also call collect Francis Salifu at (613) 797-0651 or Denise Demers at (613) 618-9327 or use our Toll free number (866) 765-8143.
The aggregate data are published in "Canada's International Investment Position (Catalogue no. 67-202-XIE)".
FUNDS - Question identifier:A)
According to our database, your portfolio contains the following funds. Please indicate funds that:
1- are no longer active with an ' X ';
2- include only units of your own funds with a ' U '.
FUNDS - Question identifier:1)
XXX Life Insurance Company - General Fund
FUNDS - Question identifier:2)
XXX Canadian Equity Fund (U)
XXX International Stock Fund
XXX Global Equity Fund
XXX Balanced Fund
FUNDS - Question identifier:3)
FUNDS - Question identifier:4)
FUNDS - Question identifier:5)
FUNDS - Question identifier:6)
XXX Diversified Fund
XXX US Equity Fund
FUNDS - Question identifier:B)
Please add any funds that do not appear on this list.
RECORD LAYOUT DATA ENTRY - EXAMPLES
For each fund, please report the following items:
- F1: Code of the Fund (M) (Alphanumeric)
- F2: Sequence Number (Numeric)
- F3: Security Identification Code (Alphanumeric)
- F4: Stock Market Symbol (Alphanumeric)
- F5: Security Type (M) (Numeric) (see footnotes below)
- F6: Name of Issuer (M) (Character)
- F7: Security Description (Character)
- F8: Industrial Description (Character)
- F9: Market Value $CAN (M) ( Numeric)
- F10: Market Price (Numeric)
- F11: Quantity (M) (Numeric)
- F12: Average Cost (Numeric)
- F13: Exchange Rate (Numeric)
- F14: Currency of Denomination (M) (Character)
- F15: Amount on Loan (Numeric)
- F16: Country of Issuer (M) (Character)
- F17: Issue Date (MM/DD/YYYY)
- F18: Maturity Date (M) (MM/DD/YYYY)
- F19: Type of Coupon (Character)
- F20: Coupon or Dividend (Numeric)
- F21: Status (Character)
FOOTNOTES - SECURITY TYPE
1. Equity (including warrants and rights)
2. Debt and debentures
3. Money market instruments
9. Real estate
10. Pooled, mutual and investment funds
12. Negative position: When reporting a negative position for a security, enter 'R' (for repurchase) in field 21.
CONTACT PERSON - Question identifier:1.
Statistics Canada may need to contact the person who completed this questionnaire for further information. Who is the best person to contact about this questionnaire?
- : First name
- : Last name
- : Title
- : Email address
- : Telephone number (including area code)
- : Extension number (if applicable)
- : Fax number (including area code)
Thank you for completing this questionnaire.
Please retain a copy for your records.
Visit our website at www.statcan.gc.ca