Household size of private household
Status: This standard was approved as a departmental standard on March 24, 2016.
Household size refers to the number of persons in a private household.
Private household refers to a person or group of persons who occupy the same dwelling and do not have a usual place of residence elsewhere in Canada or abroad. The household universe is divided into two sub-universes on the basis of whether the household is occupying a collective dwelling or a private dwelling. The latter is a private household.
Conformity to relevant internationally recognized standards
This standard conforms to the recommendations for censuses contained in the United Nations' "Principles and Recommendations for Population and Housing Censuses, Revision 2", 2008. The property, size of household, appears in the list of recommended tabulations. Information on the size of households is useful to obtain comprehensive information on the population.
- 'Number of persons (one or more)' is expressed as a number ranging from one to the maximum number on the file. July 15, 1998 to current
Relation to previous version
- Household size of private household March 24, 2016 to current
This is an update of 'Size of household'. 'Household size' has replaced 'size' to allow for a more specific definition. 'Private household' has replaced 'household' as the statistical unit.
- Size of private household September 11, 2013 to March 23, 2016
This standard was replaced by the 'Household size of private household' as of March 24, 2016.
- Size of household April 16, 2012 to March 23, 2016
This definition was updated on April 16, 2012.
- Size of household July 15, 1998 to April 15, 2012
This standard was replaced by a new departmental standard on April 16, 2012.
- Date modified: