Place of origin of person
Status: This standard was approved as a departmental standard on July 15, 1998.
Place of origin applies to the country in which a person, born outside Canada, last resided before immigrating to Canada. Respondents are to report their place of origin according to international boundaries in effect at the time of enumeration. Countries should be coded according to the most recent ISO codes and it is recommended that they be aggregated into regions according to the most recent United Nations' standards for the reporting of demographic and social data.
Country of origin and place of last permanent residence are terms that might have previously been used in stead of place of origin.
Place of origin refers to the country of residence in which a person born outside Canada last resided before immigrating to Canada.
Person refers to an individual and is the unit of analysis for most social statistics programmes.
Conformity to relevant internationally recognized standards
There are no relevant internationally recognized standards.
- Countries and Areas of Interest for Social Statistics - SCCAI 2016 March 20, 2017 to current
- Countries and Areas of Interest for Social Statistics - SCCAI 2011 February 20, 2012 to March 19, 2017
- Countries and Areas of Interest for Social Statistics - SCCAI 2010 January 17, 2011 to February 19, 2012
- Countries and Areas of Interest for Social Statistics - SCCAI 2009 May 17, 2010 to January 16, 2011
- List of Countries, Dependencies and Other Areas of Interest (2006) January 01, 2006 to May 16, 2010
- Classification of place of origin, outside Canada July 15, 1998 to December 31, 2005
Relation to previous version
- Place of origin of person July 15, 1998 to current
This is the current standard.
- Date modified: