National Occupational Classification (NOC) 2011
- 0 - Management occupations
- 06 - Middle management occupations in retail and wholesale trade and customer services
- 062 - Retail and wholesale trade managers
0621 - Retail and wholesale trade managers
Retail and wholesale trade managers plan, organize, direct, control and evaluate the operations of establishments that sell merchandise or services on a retail or wholesale basis. Retail and wholesale trade managers are employed by retail and wholesale sales establishments or they may own and operate their own store.
- antique dealer
- assistant manager - retail
- automobile repair shop manager
- bookstore manager
- car dealership manager
- cattle dealer
- clothing store manager
- department store manager
- pleasure boat dealer
- sporting goods store manager
- store manager - retail
- supermarket manager
- variety store manager
- Advertising, marketing and public relations managers (0124)
- Insurance, real estate and financial brokerage managers (0121)
- Restaurant and food service managers (0631)
- Retail sales supervisors (6211)
Retail and wholesale trade managers perform some or all of the following duties:
- Plan, direct and evaluate the operations of establishments engaged in wholesale and retail sales or of departments in such establishments
- Manage staff and assign duties
- Study market research and trends to determine consumer demand, potential sales volumes and effect of competitors' operations on sales
- Determine merchandise and services to be sold, and implement price and credit policies
- Locate, select and procure merchandise for resale
- Develop and implement marketing strategies
- Plan budgets and authorize expenditures
- Resolve customer complaints
- Determine staffing requirements and hire or oversee hiring of staff.
- Completion of secondary school is required.
- A university degree or college diploma in business administration or other field related to the product or service being sold may be required.
- Several years of related retail sales experience at increasing levels of responsibility are usually required.
- There is some mobility between managers in this unit group, depending on the product or service.
- Date modified: