Variant of NOC 2011 - Analysis by skill level
- b - NOC skill level B: occupations usually require college education or apprenticeship training
- 63 - Service supervisors and specialized service occupations
- 633 - Butchers and bakers
6332 - Bakers
Bakers prepare bread, rolls, muffins, pies, pastries, cakes and cookies in retail and wholesale bakeries and dining establishments. They are employed in bakeries, supermarkets, catering companies, hotels, restaurants, hospitals, and other institutions, or they may be self-employed. Bakers who are supervisors are included in this unit group.
- baker apprentice
- bakery supervisor
- bread baker
- head baker
- Baking machine operators (See 9461 Process control and machine operators, food, beverage and associated products processing)
- Pastry chefs (See 6321 Chefs)
Bakers perform some or all of the following duties:
- Prepare dough for pies, bread, rolls and sweet goods, batters for muffins, cookies and cakes and icings and frostings according to recipes or special customer orders
- Operate machinery
- Bake mixed doughs and batters
- Frost and decorate cakes or other baked goods
- Ensure quality of products meets established standards
- Draw up production schedule to determine type and quantity of goods to produce
- Purchase baking supplies
- May oversee sales and merchandising of baked goods
- May hire, train and supervise baking personnel and kitchen staff.
- Completion of secondary school is usually required.
- Completion of a three- or four-year apprenticeship program for bakers
Completion of a college or other program for bakers is usually required.
- On-the-job training may be provided.
- Trade certification is available, but voluntary, in Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, New Brunswick, Quebec, Ontario, Alberta, British Columbia, the Yukon, the Northwest Territories and Nunavut.
- Red Seal endorsement is also available to qualified bakers upon successful completion of the interprovincial Red Seal examination.
- The Red Seal endorsement allows for interprovincial mobility.
- Date modified: