North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) Canada 2012
This sector comprises establishments primarily engaged in extracting naturally occurring minerals. These can be solids, such as coal and ores; liquids, such as crude petroleum; and gases, such as natural gas. The term mining is used in the broad sense to include quarrying, well operations, milling (for example, crushing, screening, washing, or flotation) and other preparation customarily done at the mine site, or as a part of mining activity. Establishments engaged in exploration for minerals, development of mineral properties and mining operations are included in this sector. Establishments performing similar activities, on a contract or fee basis, are also included.
This subsector comprises establishments primarily engaged in mining, beneficiating or otherwise preparing metallic and non-metallic minerals, including coal.
- providing support services, on a contract or fee basis, required for the mining and quarrying of minerals (See 21311 Support activities for mining, and oil and gas extraction)
This industry group comprises establishments primarily engaged in mining or quarrying non-metallic minerals, except coal. Primary preparation plants, such as those engaged in crushing, grinding and washing, are included.
- manufacturing brick and other structural clay products (See 327120 Clay building material and refractory manufacturing)
- manufacturing cement (See 327310 Cement manufacturing)
- manufacturing lime (See 327410 Lime manufacturing)
- cutting and finishing stone and stone products (See 327990 All other non-metallic mineral product manufacturing)
This industry comprises establishments primarily engaged in mining or quarrying dimension stone, rough blocks or slabs of stone, and crushed and broken stone.
This industry comprises establishments primarily engaged in operating sand and gravel pits, including dredging for sand and gravel; mining or quarrying shale; and mining, beneficiating or otherwise preparing kaolin or ball clay, including china clay, paper and slip clays, and other clays and refractory minerals.
This industry comprises establishments, not classified to any other industry, primarily engaged in mining, beneficiating or otherwise preparing non-metallic minerals, such as asbestos, gypsum and potash, and extracting peat.
- mining or quarrying dimension stone (See 21231 Stone mining and quarrying)
- operating sand and gravel pits and dredging for sand and gravel (See 212323 Sand and gravel mining and quarrying)
- mining or quarrying shale and mining, beneficiating, or otherwise preparing clays and refractory minerals (See 212326 Shale, clay and refractory mineral mining and quarrying)
- production of phosphoric acid, superphosphates or other manufactured phosphate compounds or chemicals (See 325313 Chemical fertilizer (except potash) manufacturing)
- Date modified: